Health Insurance & Financing
New Health Care Coverage Requirements
HealthCare.gov is an interactive Web site that explains coverage options that are now available to you through the Affordable Care Act of 2010. You can apply online for private insurance coverage at the Health Insurance Marketplace. A Spanish language version of the site is at www.CuidadodeSalud.gov. In addition, the National Disability Navigator Resource Collaborative was designed specifically to assist people with disabilities identify insurance coverage options.
If you want to talk to someone about your options or need help with your application, every community has trained navigators that can assist. For a list of navigators close to you, go to https://localhelp.healthcare.gov and enter your zip code.
Just The Facts: The 411 on Health Insurance for Young Adults Ages 18-30 in Florida is designed to help all young adults - including those with chronic health conditions or disabilities - identify, access, and maintain health insurance coverage that meets their needs. This version (July 2011) contains initial provisions from the ACA.
View the full guide or by chapter (in PDF format):
- Part 1: Introduction
- Part 2: Private Health Insurance
- Part 3: Public Health Insurance
- Part 4: No Health Insurance
- Part 5: Need More Information?
Translations are available in Spanish and Haitian Creole:
- Sólo los Datos: El 411 Sobre el Seguro de Salud para Adultos Jóvenes de (Spanish)
- Enfòmasyon jeneral: 411 sou Asirans Maladi pou Jennmoun nan Floridaki gen ant 18 a 30 an (Creole)
Please note these important updates to the guide! Effective February 16, 2013, the federally-run Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP) suspended acceptance of new enrollment applications. Effective October 1, 2013, enrollment was open for the new Health Insurance Marketplace, for coverage starting January 1, 2014. This guide will be updated in 2014 to include newly implemented ACA provisions and requirements.
Other Health Reform Resources
Getting Covered is a campaign to help educate young adults and their families about eligibility for the young adult coverage extension through age 26. Visit the campaign web site for information on the coverage extension, including stories of families who will benefit.
A website from Florida CHAIN, ww.healthcareforflorida.org, provides a clearinghouse for information on ACA implementation and Medicaid expansion in Florida.
- Young Adults (PDF – English 6.56 MB, Spanish 919 KB)
- Families with Children (PDF – English 7.27 MB, Spanish 1.23 MB)
- People with Disabilities (PDF – English 2.56 MB, Spanish 930 KB)
- Health Care Providers (PDF – English 2.71 MB, Spanish 517 KB)
- The Health Care Law & You (PDF – 8.99 MB)
- Student Health Insurance Coverage
- The Affordable Care Act Helps Young Adults
- Realizing Health Reform’s Potential (The Commonwealth Fund, 2011)
- Rite of Passsage: Young Adults and the Affordable Care Act of 2010 (The Commonwealth Fund, May 2010)
- HRTW: Understanding Insurance Plan Options
- HRTW: Insurance Options and Obstacles
- Catalyst Center for CYSHCN
- Commonwealth Fund Issue Brief: Whither Employer- Based Health Insurance? (2007)
- Commonwealth Fund Issue Brief: Rite of Passage? (May 2008)
- National Academy for State Health Policy: Improving Access to Health Coverage for Transitional Youth in Foster Care Article and PP Presentation (2008)
- Policy Options for Assisting Child SSI Recipients in Transition
- Changing Circumstances: Experiences of Child SSI Recipients Before and After Their Age-18 Redetermination for Adult Benefits (Cornell University, 2008)
- ERISA Preemption Primer
- Hillsborough County Health Care Plan
- SSI Red Book (general reference about the employment-related provisions of SSDI and SSI)
- Family-Related Medicaid Programs in Florida
- Florida Income Guidelines: KidCare, Medicaid, SSI
- Freedom to Work 2003 and Appendix (Florida Medicaid “Buy-In” Cost and Feasibility Study)
- Partnership for Work & Healthcare: Medicaid Buy-In
- Structuring Health Reform to Work for Adolescents (Fox, McManus, Limb & Schlitt)
- Underinsurance of Adolescents, AAP Policy Statement (2008)
- Chartbook: Florida Coverage and Financing (2007)
- Chartbook: State Financing Strategies (2007)
- Chartbook: State-at-a-Glance Financing (2007)
- Health Insurance & Financing Toolkit (2007)
- Breaking the Link (2009)
- Going to Work: A Guide to Social Security Benefits and Employment for Young People with Disabilities (2009)
- Desktop Reference for SSDI, SSI, and Temporary Assistance
- Disability Evaluation Under Social Security (also known as the Blue Book; provides physicians and other providers with information about what is needed for disability claims)
- AAP’s SSI Policy Statement (2009)
- UNC Kidney Center (health insurance fact sheets, FAQs, guidance)
- Florida Health Insurance (Office of Financial Services)
- Youth Transition Demonstration Projects: Implementation Lessons from the Original Projects (Social Security Administration, 2010)